Soccer/Football (Footy) Section

Soccer/Football (Footy) Section

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 pm

We are on time, insist 2010 World Cup organisers

Danny Jordaan, the chief executive of the organising committee for the 2010 World Cup, insisted Sunday South Africa "is on time" to host the tournament and dismissed rumours Germany could step in as a replacement.

And Jordaan said FIFA president Sepp Blatter would be impressed the next time he visits South Africa at the progress made there in recent months.

"We are on time and there will be no more strikes on the construction building sites," Jordaan was quoted in Monday's edition of Die Welt. "The next time Mr Blatter visits South Africa, we will show him what enormous progress we have made."

http://www.dailyspain.com/top_story_football_news_today.php

Time to look ahead to the next big international soccer event! I enjoyed the sights of FIFA's 2006 World Cup in Germany and this year's EuroCup in Austria/Switzerland on the television. Wonder if the weather in South Africa will be as trying for the soccer players as Beijing's humidity was for the Olympic athletes?
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Re: Soccer/Football (Footy) Section

Postby fishandchips on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:22 am

My television is bringing me the world and seeing some football in South Africa is a prospect! It is not like I have the means to buy tickets to the 2010 games. ;)
Frozen? Not I. Love hot drinks and ice rinks.
fishandchips

Postby CielOnTap on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Remaining games in Major League Soccer (North America) for 2008:
October
10/04 - Saturday @ New York Red Bulls 7:30 p.m. The Score, DK, MLSLIVE.tv
10/11 - Saturday @ FC Dallas 8:30 p.m. CBC, FSC, FSE
10/18 - Saturday Chicago Fire 3:30 p.m. CBC, HDNet
10/25 - Saturday @ San Jose Earthquakes 10:00 p.m. CBC, DK, MLSLIVE.tv
Sunday, November 23
MLS Cup 2008 - Home Depot Center - Carson, CA 3:30 p.m. .... ABC

% = Canadian Qualifying Tournament for CONCACAF Champions League
& = International Friendly

http://web.mlsnet.com/schedule/scoreboard/season.jsp?team=t280
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Police to act on Campbell taunts Wednesday, 1 October 2008 17:59 UK

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp branded the abuse of Campbell 'filthy'
Police are to investigate racial and homophobic abuse directed at Portsmouth and former England defender Sol Campbell at Fratton Park.

The Portsmouth captain was subjected to taunts during his team's 2-0 Premier League home win over Tottenham on 28 September. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7647138.stm

Football fans are not getting wiser about what is appropriate behaviour during a soccer/football match. If they'd like to see football, find some civility and lose the loutish/chav behaviour.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby CielOnTap on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:06 pm

Japan heap woe on islanders
Japan picked up their first points of the FIFA Futsal World Cup Brazil 2008 on Saturday with a 7-2 win over Solomon Islands in Brasilia.

The lively East Asians were up 3-0 inside 12 minutes thanks to goals from Yuki Kanayama, Kenichiro Kogure and Yusuke Komiyama, setting the stage for the eventual rout to follow. An own goal from Yoshifumi Maeda in the 18th minute saw a glimmer of hope for the Oceania men, compounded by Ron Ginio's goal just a minute later which made it a tight 3-2.
http://www.fifa.com/futsalworldcup/matches/round=250124/match=300055106/summary.html

Another soccer tournament under my radar--Brazil has some awesome soccer players, so any soccer tournament in the country is bound to be popular with spectators there.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Postby deja vu on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:14 am

Poland fail to meet Fifa deadline

Poland risked suspension from all competitions and losing the right to co-host Euro 2012 after they missed a
Fifa deadline of 1100 BST on Monday.

Fifa had demanded Poland reinstate their Football Association after it was suspended by the country's government
and replaced by an administrator.

Fifa said on Monday it had received new information but awaited a full report.

Poland face being handed an automatic 3-0 defeat in their upcoming World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7644595.stm
Turn it up, turn it up, little bit higher radio
Turn it up, turn it up, so you know, radio
deja vu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yukon on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:44 am

Giovinco renews for Juve
'Atom Ant' would like to stay for life

Sebastian Giovinco has extended his contract at Juventus by two years until 2013, the club said Friday. ''I hope to stay here till the
end of my career,'' the highly rated creative midfielder told Juventus Channel.

He voiced the hope that his 18-year-old brother Giuseppe, another rare talent from the Juve nursery, will join him in the first team.

Giovinco, 21, is regarded as one of Italy's most promising footballers.

http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2008-10-17_117266124.html
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby yukon on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:38 am

Beckham to join AC Milan on loan

David Beckham has agreed to move to AC Milan on loan in January, the Italian club has told BBC Sport.

The England midfielder, 33, plays for Los Angeles Galaxy, whose Major League Soccer season ends this weekend.

Speaking on Wednesday morning, Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said: "Beckham has chosen Milan. He'll stay here
in Milan on loan for a few months. "Our squad is ultra-competitive and it will remain this way but Beckham is something
different and intriguing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7683877.stm
The Moose sees all, hears all, knows it all. Listen to your
local moose, Folks!
yukon

Postby Speak1 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:17 pm

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

CielOnTap wrote:We are on time, insist 2010 World Cup organisers

Danny Jordaan, the chief executive of the organising committee for the 2010 World Cup, insisted Sunday South Africa "is on time" to host the tournament and dismissed rumours Germany could step in as a replacement.

And Jordaan said FIFA president Sepp Blatter would be impressed the next time he visits South Africa at the progress made there in recent months.

"We are on time and there will be no more strikes on the construction building sites," Jordaan was quoted in Monday's edition of Die Welt. "The next time Mr Blatter visits South Africa, we will show him what enormous progress we have made."

http://www.dailyspain.com/top_story_football_news_today.php

Time to look ahead to the next big international soccer event! I enjoyed the sights of FIFA's 2006 World Cup in Germany and this year's EuroCup in Austria/Switzerland on the television. Wonder if the weather in South Africa will be as trying for the soccer players as Beijing's humidity was for the Olympic athletes?

I think it's great that South Africa will be hosting the World Cup. If I remember correctly, this was a very big deal for Mr. Mandela.

I must confess, though, that "footy" usage is the first time I've read or heard the use of the word. At first I thought it was related to something I heard called "footsie" or something. I don't mean like with foot touching, you know. I mean, some kind of game with some kind of weird little badmiton looking thing they kick with the instep straight up in the air and pass it around, or something like that. I may not even have the name of the game correct.

ANYWAY!, it's great that South Africa has the World Cup in 2010.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Speak1

Postby CielOnTap on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Hackysack is a beanbag type game involved feet tossing the sack into the air to keep it in play.
I guess that I had assumed that the slang/colloquilism of footy was a familiar or known term to English (UK) soccer fans. My apologies for leaping ahead on the terminology.
80s pop music fan here!
CielOnTap
Moderation Team Leader

Next

Return to Sports